Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thx Herr Peemoeller


It may be un-eco-friendly, and I must say I don’t feel absolutely comfortable about this, but I like cars. My Dad is one of those practical-type Dads who given a few tools can repair just about anything. Just now he pulled the faulty driver’s seat out of his relatively new car and fixed it. I can remember many a time on a cold, winter’s morning begrudgingly handing him spanners and ratchets while he was under the hood graunching his knuckles.
I'm not interested in how cars work. I like to look at them and listen to them. I like to blow my hair back. And I like the thought that they are a means of escape; that they represent freedom and possibility. Thinking of cars as just a method to get from A to B is totally wrong.
My brothers also like cars. From Triumph Stags to Porsches, from Beemers to Jags. So it runs in the family – we like cars.

I thank the Lord then that Henry Ford ignored the “focus group” findings. As he put it, “If I had listened to my customers I would’ve invented a faster horse”.

But if there’s one thing I really dislike about cars then it’s car parks. Now I know they’ve come on a bit lately, but in the main they are piss-stinking, soulless, depressing, concrete-grey-ugly eye-sores. Not to mention the fact that they tend to bring out the worse in humanity, what with the parking space psychology swiftly leading to parking space fury.

And so it was with a more than a little pleasure that I come across this by designer
Axel Peemoeller who has worked out the math to create, optically directional car park signage that appears to hang in the air. Found in the car park of the Eureka Tower in Melbourne, there's no technowizardy here, just a man with a can of paint and a few severely skewed letters. The result: mindbending, v smart and surely a Eureka moment. Perhaps a car manufacturer that wishes to position itself as innovative could join up with Mr Pee to create these signs across all major car parks in Australia…Whatever, well done Mr Pee, and thx for making my car park experience just a little bit less painful.

No comments: